Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Ballet, Bacon and Birthday Supplies


Memorial Day has come and gone and summer is in full swing... and so are my children. From dawn til dusk they go at it. Siblings share such a strange love, don't they? One minute they are playing so well together and the next minute both of them are crying in frustration. I've asked other moms if their children are competitive with one another, and they look at me as if I'm an alien.

My children compete over EVERYTHING. They race to see who gets to the door knob first, and whoever wins gets to open the door. As they sit in the back seat of the car, they race to see who can sing the song faster. Louder and louder they both sing, as they try to out do the other. I feel like I'm losing what little mind I have left!

Caroline started ballet this week. She looked adorable in her pink leotard, tights and slippers. Ben followed me into the studio when I picked her up yesterday, and to his utter dismay, she was given a marsh mellow upon completion of her lesson. He stewed about it for the next hour. Never mind that we just spent $27 on his birthday party supplies while she was dancing. Heaven forbid, Caroline got a marsh mellow!

I've put off going to the grocery store all week because I don't want to hear them argue over who gets to push the cart, what cereal we buy, and who can put the most pieces of gum in their mouth at one time! At 6:00 tonight, I was digging through my cabinets trying to find anything to fix for supper. I finally found a box of pancake mix hidden behind a box of Uncle Ben's rice and through on some bacon to go with it. Breakfast for dinner... and wouldn't you know they fought over how many pancakes they could eat!

Needless to say my writing time has dwindled down to stolen moments of bliss in between playing referee. Ugh! I'm even blogging about it - Only 75 more days until school starts!