Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunshine, Salty Air, Seafood and.... A Contract?











I've just returned from MY beach, the gorgeous Emerald Isle, N.C. Never mind the other thousands of visitors along side me last week. I still think God created that beach just for me! It was wonderful. We enjoyed picturesque days filled with sunshine, salty air and lots of seafood. I was able to play with my family and squeeze in some much needed reading and writing time too. Our fifth wheel had to be at least 500 pounds heavier since I carried part of my library with me, and of course we visited the book store as soon as we got down there which only added more.


Ben turned the big eight on this trip. We celebrated by going to the go-cart track, and he drove his own cart for the very first time! His daddy looked so proud and I had the most difficult time convincing Caroline that she was too little to "drive." Right now Caroline's only ambition in life is to do everything that Ben does.... but better! I think this may just be Caroline's only summer in ballet, she would rather be driving go-carts.


I was able to sneak away sporadically to get some writing time in. I wrote several poems and worked on a biography too. I read Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome, and although I haven't finished it yet, it is by far one of the most exquisite pieces I've ever read. She is a master with descriptive language!


We drove in yesterday evening, and I climbed out of the truck to gather my mail. I quickly scanned through the massive pile of catalogs, junk, and bills and found one of my SASE which I just knew was a rejection. I tossed the mail aside and returned about an hour later to read my "rejection." Much to my surprise, it contained a contract! I sold my first children's short story to The Friend magazine. I couldn't be more thrilled! Usually when I get my SASE back in the mail, they contain rejections, and this was the first time one EVER contained good news. I'm still floating 24 hours later. It never ceases to amaze me, that someone would actually pay me for the "stuff" in my head! As Edith Wharton said,



" I was to appear in print! As long as I live, I shall never forget my sensations."